Subject: [ETI Informal All 1AD.05.09.01] "The APOSTLES were LAYMEN"
From: "James R @ ETIMin" <[email-masked]>
To: "Lists @ ETI Min" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 15:52:34 +0200

Greetings

This is an important message.

Warm regards and blessings

James

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "REVIVAL List" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 9:58 PM
Subject: [revival] "The APOSTLES were LAYMEN"

"The APOSTLES Were LAYMEN"  
-Extracts by Philip Lancaster. 

The world and the church agree about how you should address me. 
My proper name and title, by unanimous consent, is: The Reverend 
Mister Philip H. Lancaster. 

I am one of the elite cadre of persons who has the right to be 
addressed as Reverend" ("Worthy of reverence; revered. A member 
of the clergy.") This distinction is mine because I successfully 
completed a three-year graduate program in theology (I'm also a 
"Master of Divinity") and passed a theological exam before a body 
of ministers and elders. Upon passing that examination I was
ordained and granted the privilege of being addressed as Reverend. 
This distinction also entitled me to be the pastor of a church: its 
preacher, the one who oversees the church ordinances, and the 
one privileged to "pronounce the benediction." 

According to the church and the world, I am one set apart. I am a 
member of the clergy, and my title distinguishes me as such. 
Sounds pretty good, huh? 

Yes, it sounds good to modern ears. But there is a little problem: 
the title and what it implies is an affront to Jesus Christ and an 
insult to every other man in the church. 

As an expression of my submission to my Lord I renounce the 
title and resist its implications. 

Jesus said, "But you are not to be called 'Rabbi,' for you have only 
one Master and you are all brothers" (Matt. 23). Our Lord goes on 
to forbid other honorific titles among his people, the church, and 
then concludes, "For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and 
whoever humbles himself will be exalted" (v. 12). 

Jesus explicitly forbade setting any man apart in the church by 
means of a special title-and yet the church has done it since not 
long after the apostolic age. Why is such a practice such an 
affront to Christ? Because he alone is Head and Master of his church. 

The concept of a professional clergy, which corrupted the church 
within a few centuries of the apostles, was a direct expression of 
worldly concepts of leadership and power. Whereas Jesus had 
adorned himself with a towel and became a servant to his followers 
(John 13), "clergymen" began to adorn themselves with special 
robes and collars and assumed a place of superiority over the 
congregation of the church. Although later the Reformation removed 
some of the worst abuses of this clerical system, it retained the 
distinction between the "clergy" and the "laity", a distinction which 
survives to this day. 

Do we see any evidence of a clergy/laity distinction in the New 
Testament? None whatsoever. We see quite the opposite: the 
church leaders were ordinary men who humbly served the flock 
and who neither sought nor accepted any special status, title or 
dress that set them apart from the rest of the brothers. 
Unschooled, Ordinary Men. 

Consider the Apostles. These men were hand-picked by Jesus 
himself to be the foundation of his church, the human agents 
through whom he would establish the household of God on earth 
(Eph. 2:20). These were the very agents of divine revelation, the 
human authorities by which the church received its order and
direction. Certainly the Apostles were the most important leaders 
the church has ever had. Surely if any men deserved special title, 
position and rank it was these men. But were the Apostles clergymen? 

To the contrary, we find clear evidence that the Apostles, though 
exercising their leadership role and its attendant authority, were 
not a special class among Christians, a professional spiritual elite. 
Let's look at just some of the evidence. 

In Acts 4:13 we read of the reaction of the Sanhedrin (the Jewish 
clergy) to Peter and John: "When they saw the courage of Peter 
and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, 
they were astonished and they took note that these men had 
been with Jesus." What distinguished the Apostles was not their
training and credentials; it was that they had spiritual power 
because they had been with Jesus and he was with them still by the Spirit. 

My interlinear Greek-English New Testament suggests these 
words for those translated "unschooled" and "ordinary" above: 
"unlettered" and "laymen". The Apostles were perceived by the 
clergy of their day as "uneducated laymen"! How could these men 
count for anything? Who could take them seriously? The Lord
Jesus could, and did; and he built his church on the work of these 
ordinary men.

Nor do we find the Apostles claiming any special rank and 
recognition for themselves. Paul called himself the "least of all 
God's people" (Eph. 3: and refused even the honor to which he 
was due by virtue of his role (1 Cor. 9:12). Peter, when addressing 
the church leaders, referred to himself simply as "a fellow elder" 
(1 Pet. 5:1). When the Apostles and elders gathered in Jerusalem
for a critical doctrinal debate, the Apostles submitted to one 
another, and the letter which the council sent to the churches went 
out in the name of "the apostles and elders, your brothers" (Acts 15:23). 

A Brotherhood 

The church is a brotherhood, a family, in which there are no classes 
of people... The New Testament prescription for leadership in the 
local church is a body of elders, a plurality of leaders who function 
as brothers, submitting to one another, with no one man in a superior 
position to another. (You can study these passages and meditate 
on their implications in regard to leadership structure: Acts 14:23; 
20:17-31; Phil. 1:1; 1 Thess. 5:12,13; 1 Tim. 3:1-13; Tit. 1:5-9; 
Heb. 13:17; 1 Pet. 5:1-4.)

The clergy system is a direct attack upon the very nature of the 
body of Christ. It introduces a false concept of a special spiritual 
class, with the accompanying temptation to pride and abuse of 
power that comes when one man is exalted positionally over 
others. It also leads to passivity on the part of those who are, by 
implication at least, "second class" in the church. Members of the 
body do not use their gifts to carry on ministry since the 
professional "minister" is doing the work. 

Perhaps the worst result of the clergy system is that it stifles the
spiritual development of the men of the congregation. God's plan is 
that ordinary, unschooled men can become elders, overseers and 
shepherds (pastors) of God's flock. They can grow in grace, can 
learn their Bibles, can develop leadership in their families-to the 
point that they can be recognized and set apart to pastor the 
church as a part of the body of elders. They do not have to go to 
Bible college or seminary. They can strive through on-the-job 
training to be leaders in the congregation. However, the clergy 
system removes this possibility from most men and smothers the 
godly ambition to servant-leadership. So men are unchallenged, 
and the congregation is weakened-not mention its families whose 
leaders are given no practical incentive for spiritual growth. 

Can you see how all this fits with a return to what we have called 
"the family-based church"? We must get away from the single 
pastor model in which he inevitably becomes a program manager, 
an executive in a bureaucracy. We must return to the concept of 
brotherhood where the church is seem as a family and no one 
man has a position by which he dominates others. We must 
abandon the model that burns out one man and leaves the rest 
unchallenged. 

Starting A Church 

Now here is what encourages me about all this. This non-clerical,
family-based model of the church is one that can be reproduced 
by the hundreds and thousand around the nation (and the world). 
Any group of godly men who are committed to each other as 
brothers, who share the same scriptural understanding of the 
church, who are prepared to submit themselves to one another in 
the Lord-any such handful of men can constitute themselves a 
church and begin this adventure of seeing a family-based church 
in their community. 

You see, they do not need "a pastor" (meaning a clergy-type 
professional preacher) to start a church. Better that they do not 
have such a man, unless he is willing to function by the 
brotherhood model endorsed by the Apostles.

"You mean you can just up and start a church with a few families?" 
Yes, you can....  

The critical ingredient for successfully shaping a biblical church is 
the attitude of the men of the group. They must be absolutely 
committed to the Lord Jesus and his Word, ready to submit their 
own minds and wills to Scripture. They must also be committed to 
one another, ready to yield to one another in love. They must not 
seek a place of prominence over the others. They must cultivate 
an attitude of sacrifice and service on behalf of the whole group. 

The men of the forming church can meet regularly to pray for the 
body, to discuss the spiritual and physical needs of the member 
families, to study the Bible, to oversee and shepherd the little flock 
of God. (In time they will need to recognize elders from among 
themselves and appoint deacons to assist the elders.) If several 
men are able to so devote themselves to the Lord and to one 
another, there is no reason they cannot see a solid church
established in their midst. 

Forget the "Reverend" business. The Lord chooses ordinary, 
working men and makes them extraordinary. That could be you! 

----------------------------------
Source:  http://www.patriarch.com/article.php?sid=70
----------------------------------

--
To subscribe, send a "subscribe" email to-  [email-masked]
OR send *ANY* email to-  [email-masked]

To unsubscribe, send ANY message to: [email-masked]

To send material for consideration for publication, send to-
[email-masked]

VISIT OUR SITES ON THE NET:

REVIVAL SUPERSITE - http://www.revivalschool.com

PROPHETIC SUPERSITE - http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~revival/index2.html

MODERATOR:
Andrew Strom,
PO Box 9852,
Kansas City,
MO 64134,
USA.